Submission Deadline is Sunday, March 6, 2016
(12:00 noon, Eastern Standard Time)
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA) Scholarship Fund offers undergraduate, need-based financial aid scholarships to current and incoming undergraduate students to children of U.S. Foreign Service employees who have at least one parent as an AFSA member.
Individual awards range from $3,000 - $5,000. AFSA anticipates bestowing $205,000 on at least 55 students in the 2016/17 school year. Recipients with the greatest finanical need will recieve largest awards. Not all applicants who apply will qualify for an AFSA Financial Aid Scholarship. Family's assets and income are assessed in determining need.
Students/parents submit the following information to help determine eligibility and financial need: student demographic information, parent demographic information, official high school/college transcript, and the College Scholarship Service (CSS) PROFILE (the financial instrument used to determine need).
- Applicants must be claimed as dependents on at least one parent's most recent IRS tax form.
- Applicants must have a parent who is a U.S. Government Foreign Service employee (active-duty, retired with pension, deceased or separated) with a foreign affairs agency as defined by the Foreign Service Act of 1980 (Department of State, USAID, IBB, FCS, FAS, USIA or APHIS). Children of AFSA Scholarship Committee members are ineligible for AFSA awards or scholarships
- At least one parent is a member of AFSA.
- Applicants must attend school full time taking at least 12 credits.
- This award is open to current and incoming undergraduate students.
- Applicants must maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
Previous year's applicants should log in using their old username and password. If an applicant has forgotten his/her password, click on "Trouble Signing In" and follow the steps provided. All new applicants will need to create an account.
Some required documents (such as transcripts and the CSS PROFILE) may take a longer time to process, so please allow 1-2 weeks for delivery. AFSA will not accept any late or incomplete application, and it is the applicant's responsibility to see that all tasks are completed by the 3/6/2016 deadline.